This is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

For more information, contact Chris Jones, skjones8@juno.com

Sunday, July 11, 2010

How's your garden doing? -and a garden recipe

Did your garden take a pounding from the recent tornado/hailstorm?

Mine did! I wondered if it would be a total loss.


I've been amazed and delighted to see the way my garden has sprung back to life.


My garden is definitely behind this year--I have only a few blossoms on my recovered squash and the plants are pretty small.



So far I have very few green tomatoes, and only a couple of ripe cherry tomatoes.
I think the plants took valuable time to regrow the broken and smashed leaves and fruit
and everything is going to ripen later this year.
I'm anxious to harvest some garden produce so I can use
one of my favorite recipes. It's a tasty mixture of sweet, spicy, and savory. The recipe was originally on allrecipes, although I haven't been able to find it there for a year or two.

Grilled Vegetables

You need:

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon basil

1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon season-all seasoned salt

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste (cayenne pepper)

Mix well.




you will also need fresh vegetables from your garden, such as

zucchini

peppers

squash

potatoes

onion

asparagus

or vegetables from the store such as

mushrooms

or these sweet potato fries, (which are delicious!)

Use your imagination! It is good on any vegetable.


You can mix a larger batch of the spices and keep them handy in your cupboard in
a plastic storage container.

When you are ready to use the grilling spices, slice your vegetables, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with spice mixture, and stir well to coat.


Put on the grill on medium to medium high heat.

Grill for ten minutes.

Yum!
It's a fast side dish that goes with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment